This wonderful visit completely encompassed the values that we hold so strongly in our class!
This morning we had another interesting visitor - Harley from World Vision. We discussed RIGHTS and our wonderful children came up with inspiring words like:
Authority to, allowed to, privilege to or freedom to do something - RIGHT.
We talked about the fact that we should have a right to things like food and education.
In 1989 (which Ms Saxon and Miss Rait do not think is that long ago!), all the countries around the world, except two, signed the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. USA and Somalia did not sign it.
Approximately 900million people across the world do not have access to clean water.
People have the right to believe what they want to believe and to practise their own customs.
Mya talked about people with disabilities or differences being treated as "not complete". What an amazing way to speak Mya!
Dilkee said how important it is for us to be able to say what they want so that the world hears our ideas. Zoe suggested that children should be able to vote on the flag referendum.
Fergus thought that children under 16 should not be in the army as they are too young to die. Juliette thought that they hadn't had the opportunity to live their life yet. Mya thought that it was possible that whole generations could be wiped out.
Harley, Ms Saxon and Miss Rait were inspired by the thoughts, ideas and opinions of our children and this gives us great hope for the future of our country if you guys are going to be our leaders.

80,000 Syrian refugees live in this Zaatari refugee camp which used to just be a desert. It is run by the UN.
i loved harly coming in i now know there is 60,0000 rufguess
ReplyDeleteI learnt so many things today with Harley. His talk really helped me with my inquiry as well. I never new that 900 million people in the world can not get clean water. I also really liked choosing which things I would put in my backpack if I had to leave here suddenly. I am looking forward to doing the 40 hour famine this year๐
ReplyDeleteI can't wait till the 40 hour famine either its going to be so fun packing your bags and that is what you have for 40 hours straight!!!!
DeleteI really want to do the challenge!
DeleteBut what if everything runs out.......
Real refugees would be relying on the bag for much longer than us and probably have way less things!
I never knew that there was children rights in the world but now I do because Harley came and told us this was not relevant for my but the information was useful my favorite right was; To be able to have the right to say and I think that is important so that the world can know what the children want for their future and also so they can archive their dreams
ReplyDeleteI think that is such an important right too Dilkee!
DeleteI learnt heaps of sad facts today like 8million children from Syria have had to flee their country, I couldn't imagine having to leave New Zealand like that
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed harley he was really good.
ReplyDeleteI learnt so much about children's rights and haw sad they are and what the little kids have to go through.
And that the refugee camp is really big.
I learnt sooooo much about people having to leave there home countries it sounds pretty sad though. I also got blown of my chair ( even though I wasn't sitting on one ) when I saw the photo of the refugee camp it is huuuuuggggge wow. I really enjoiyd Harvey come to talk to us๐๐๐๐๐๐
ReplyDeleteI love having visitors in,
ReplyDeleteHarley was really nice I loved finding out heaps of information and taking notes in my topic book. but the most interesting thing to me was the part that if black people flee to other countries they bring face whitening cream just in-case they would get treated differently because of their skin colour. Today was amazing and I look forward to having more visitors come in!!!!!!!!
I was totally blown away by the face whitening cream too Cara.
DeleteI don't now why someone would do that. It is so sad that he would think he thinks he would get better luck if he looked different
DeleteIt totally agree Annika and Cara and Ms Saxon,
DeleteIt is soo sad that he even had it in his house and that he would have better luck getting into the country's!